In an earlier post, I described my recent internship with the Smithsonian’s National Museum of African Art. Working alongside Lanisa Kitchiner, the work for my internship is centered around creating a proof of concept digital edition about the museum’s founder, Warren M. Robbins.
I also previously discussed my trip to the Smithsonian’s Archives in order to take images of the materials in the Warren M. Robbins collection. In the earlier posts I estimated taking about 300 images of materials. However, work since then has indicated that there were closer to 450 images taken. These images were all taken with my cell phone. After my trip, it was important to begin organizing the images and find some place to store the images. To do so, I used Google Drive. After creating folders which correlated to the collection’s box numbers, I move images into the appropriate sub and sub sub folders.
While the organization of the collection and the associated images are important, it was also important to begin transcribing the documents. There are a mix of hand written and typed materials. Those written by hand had to be transcribed in a more traditional way. However, for a number of the typed documents, I have been able to to use a freely available OCR tool which provides relatively accurate transcriptions of the documents.
The transcription process is still underway, and I have been able to create the site itself. I started by creating a wireframe in a spreadsheet which identified the necessary content types, the necessary metadata fields, and the type of fields. Following the creation of the wireframe, I then created the site using a sub domain of my own domain, knowing that the site could be moved and used later. After adding a few necessary modules and doing some basic configuration of the site, I created several taxonomy lists with associated terms to be used to associate metadata to the content and group related items together.
The last major task so far was to bring in some content to the site itself. Using the sender, recipient, and creator columns from the document catalog I created, I was able to import records for each of the individuals and organizations. This was done by assigning each person/organization a unique ID number and removing all duplicates. This will be extremely useful when importing the document records as they will be able to immediately connect to the appropriate person records for sender, and recipient.